Sunday, November 4, 2012

First Walk for Christopher


For the last couple of weeks the banner for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has caught my eye coming home from my parent's house.  Anyone who knows me personally knows I lost my brother to suicide in 2008.  I am not going to go into it at this time beause that is not what this post is for.  This is not the first time I have noticed banners for walks to prevent suicide but this is the first time I got involved.  I am so thankful I did because it opened my eyes to how big this is in Alabama.  Just this year over 600 people have lost their life to suicide and the age ranges from 10 to over 80.  That is truly heartbreaking.  There were signs all throughout the walk with facts on suicide and each one spoke to me.  After completing that walk I know I have to do more.  I need to research the AFSP and find out exactly what donation money funds.  I will search out more walks and next time I will volunteer.  I do not want another person losing a sibling.  I do not want another child not to have an Aunt or Uncle.  I do not want this for anyone!  Christopher is gone but not forgotten.  I will be his voice and I will help where and when ever I can. 



3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Friday I was going through boxes and getting stuff together for a garage sale, and found an envelope from an "I'm sorry I pissed you off card" he gave me that Chris had wrote "To: Kristen From: Chris I am sorry with a sad face." Inside were a handful of pictures of him!! I will have to copy them and send them to you. I still think of him often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send them to me!!!! My parents and I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure will :) Send me a FB message with your address and I'll mail you copies of them all! I'll also look and try to find any others I might have while I'm at it.

    ReplyDelete