Friday, November 11, 2011

Sick and sicker

Our bud (Rudy and I call William "bud" or "buddy" 99% of the time) started daycare 3 weeks ago and got his first cold about 2.5 weeks ago.  Go figure!!  He then got an ear infection about a week later and now has a terrible cough.  Let me first say that I feel incredibly guilty about this.  I start work, William starts daycare, and William gets sick for the first time in his life.  Hmmm....wonder why he got sick?  For 8 months whenever he would act out of character the tiniest bit and I would think: sick.  Now that he is sick I know that I had not the slightest clue.  The day William let us know he had an ear infection was last Saturday night at bedtime.  He cried and cried and cried.  Then I remembered from researching random baby info that resistance to lying flat is a symptom of an ear infection.  I scooped up my baby and tried to console him.   Nothing worked, Rudy tried, nothing worked.  We were so sad for William; we could tell he was in pain.  He slept on and off that night on top of me, in the middle of us, and finally in his crib.  Poor thing sleeps on his tummy so every time he fell asleep he tried to roll over on me and would cry out.  Luckily our pediatrician's clinic works in three locations and one is open on the weekends.  William got some antibiotics and we are pretty sure his ear is all better (knock on wood). 

The hacking cough is new and after calling the nurse I learned it will be hanging out with William for up to 3 weeks.  Feeling guilty again.  She said as long as the cough is wet and he does not sound like a seal it is just part of the cold process.  He has not had a fever during this time (thank the Lord) but definitely has been over tired and a bit cranky.  William is still fighting naps at daycare which does not help the healing process.  Night sleep is solid which makes me feel better for him.  I keep telling myself this is how it has to be.  I have to work for William to have a better life.  I have to work for us to make ends meet.  William would get sick eventually; all humans do.  My parents would always tell me and Christopher, "If I could be sick for you I would."  I thought that is what parents say to make their babies feel better.  The second my baby boy picked his head up off my chest and cried out in pain I prayed to take it from him.  Let me deal with this pain not this baby that has no understanding to why this is happening to him.  Today I am thankful that William has gone 9 months and has only suffered a cold and an ear infection.  We are lucky for this.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment